DISTRACTIONS
Last Friday we had our fireplace swept, as we do every year. We “burn” almost every night from late
September to early May. My husband likes
the ambiance and we both like the smell and the warmth. I could do without the dirt of logs and kindling, and the constant stream of ashes, but in
power outages we have been cozy and comforted and I have boiled water in my
Greek coffee pot for morning coffee, which is key to blackout
survival. A favorite moment in power
outage history was in 1999, Hurricane Floyd. The temperature dropped after the storm and
we lit a fire. I announced that we were
having ice cream for dinner, which we and our small children ate in front of
the hearth; they asked if we could have
a hurricane every month. If I had been
clever I would have made a hurricane night every once in a while.
Prior to the sweeping this year, we lit a fire in late
August, on a ninety degree day, to burn a creosote sweeping log to soften the ash for the sweep. As a result the house smelled a bit like
burned paper. The sweep, in an effort to
diminished the smell of paper and soot, sprayed a "deodorizing scent" when he was
done. I came down and said "What is that smell?" He replied “I sprayed Apple scent.”
My heart sank. My daughter, who
lives with us, is allergic to apples.
My husband suggested that I not tell her, maybe she would be alright, and I prayed that
sickly smell was artificial apple. An
hour later when the AC kicked on, my daughter came down sick as a dog and said “I
don’t know what just happened! My whole
head and throat suddenly began to burn and I tossed my lunch!” I explained, got her allergy meds, and she
went to friend’s house to recover. I
called the sweep who thankfully informed me that he had sprayed only the
firebox. He also apologized profusely (it was a well meaning-ed error).
I spent the next several hours, Cinderella-like, inside the firebox
of my chimney with a scrub brush and four different cleaners, for four separate scrubbing
sessions. Awash with frothy grey bubbles, sore knees and after disposing of gallons of black sooty water, my fireplace has never been cleaner. I even scrubbed the damper.
Now where are those glass slippers? They make such nice ice cream dishes.
Now where are those glass slippers? They make such nice ice cream dishes.
Comments
Post a Comment