I have not written for years, not at least, a post.  I have written journal pages by the hundreds and poems by the score, but "Studio Thoughts,"  no.  This is not a reflection of a lack of thinking, thinking out loud, hell, talking out loud - often to myself, but rather a hesitation to express into the atmosphere of intimate anonymity, what thoughts may be.

There is a terrifying intimacy to separation, which not only allows, but encourages the sharing of that which is so often better kept to oneself ,or at the very least, thought carefully about before loosing its expression.  On more than one occasion I have ended a conversation either on the ethereal internet or in a crowded meeting, by stating something so clearly, concisely and thoroughly (I hope that's the reason) that no one else knew quite what to say.  I was only expressing a a thought, but the statement closed a conversation. I cherish the exchange of ideas and experiences.  It's why I love art, music and poetry, the arts share emotion, thought, and experience.  Conversation takes one more step to allow active exchange and interactive growth between persons.  The arts, as any passion of individuals', can spark conversation; but real conversation requires respectful exchanges and statements to live and thrive.

These days I read too many flaming boulders of statements, either in a news stories or in the post or comments of friends on social media.  Is there a safe zone of kindly expression?  Is there a place of thought instead of wrath?  Are we so very frustrated that no other words than "love, peace, and understanding"or "Nazi fascist..." are the only arguments which come to mind?

Name calling is not conversation, it's not even expression of an idea.  Name calling is a distracting punch in the nose.  It's effective in the worst "watch the birdie" way.  When it happens, watch the other hand, its busy doing something the magician wants unseen.  A weak argument is hidden, an impassioned desperation, an unproven theory; shame, fear.  We all have these feelings.  We also have the courage to own the fears, quell the shame, and overcome the obstacles, so each of us can move forward; first as individuals and then as a community, finally as a culture and country.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teetering on the Edge of Happiness

Revelations