SEW Peace
Last week I quickly wrote my blog and posted it. My friend Joanne read it and said, "I think you misspelled a word in the title." which I had indeed. The corrected word was sow, as in planting, which is also the spelling for the word for a female pig: spelling in English is weird.
I am not a good speller, never have been. I had written sew, which is a word, and is spelled correctly, but not the correct word for that particular sentence. It felt right, but also wrong, and Joanne was wonderfully helpful, and kept me from looking foolish. I started thinking though, for that piece sow was right, but sew could also be a meaningful idea coupled with peace.
While it is nice to think of peace as a freestanding concept, it seems that it is more often applied as a solution for a dispute, a difference of thought and action which has caused strife; a division. Sewing together the sides of a wound promotes quicker, cleaner healing, with minimal scarring. Sewing together the rent fabric of a garment returns an item to good use. Therefore let me this week, return to my original title and plant the seed: Sew Peace. Healing is a miraculous process without which we could physically and emotionally, take no risks, work only with trepidation and play at risk of life and limb. We can heal and we can heal better with the help of others, stitching our lives, dreams and destiny together with the threads of respect, dignity and kindness.

Comments
Post a Comment