Creating Calm


When the world sows hatred and behaves badly, I seek the comfort of my studio.  In that special place I create my own world. There was a time I sought to express my own anger and rage in my imagery, but that time has passed.  I have realized the commonality of rage and its static qualities.

These days I seek, as I did decades ago when I began to paint, images and sensations of a more profoundly eternal quality, the essence of which is calm, soothing peace.

In the realm of the everyday I comfort myself with the love of friends and family, animals and nature.  In smaller ways, I relish the pleasure of hot coffee, favorite foods, fresh air and wild things in my yard. They all seem so miraculous.

In the studio, I seek the broader space of timeless understanding, of the largeness of the universe, and the comfort of our human smallness in that universe.  Smallness give us freedom to make mistakes and the largeness of the universe gives us space to grow from them.

Seeking peace, and calm consideration of decency and wonder, can lead us into a lifestyle which directs people into kinship with one another.  For me personally it can lead to new work which I hope fosters feelings of vastness and depth, possibility and resolution.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teetering on the Edge of Happiness

Revelations